Working from Home? Make Sure to Get Outside!
The COVID-19 pandemic has had a lasting impact on many aspects of our lives, including our work environment. Now that many jobs allow us to work from home, we may forget to step outside and reap the benefits that Nature has to offer. This article sums up the most important reasons of why getting outside should be ingrained in our daily lives.
Without exposure to daily sunlight and the outdoors, vital hormones and vitamins are at risk of being depleted. Vitamin D is absorbed from sunlight which supports our body’s musculoskeletal system and overall immune system. Staying inside leads to a lack of serotonin, our greatest mood stabilizer, and also melatonin, a hormone responsible for regulating our sleep patterns. In addition, less time outdoors usually means increased levels of sitting inside. Many modern-day workers are staying seated for up to 8 or 9 hours per day. Researchers link this behavior to having an effect on the body similar to smoking and obesity. Risk of type II diabetes, cardiovascular disease and cancer are all heightened if we don’t choose to get outside and move every day.
All Terrain stands by our mission to help families protect themselves while enjoying the outdoors. Here are some ideas for taking quick breaks from work and stepping outside:
- Take a phone call outside or while walking around the neighborhood
- Set a reminder to alert you every 30 minutes it’s time to stand for 5 minutes
- Take a 15 minute walk before work, mid-day and after work
- Take stretch breaks every 2 hours outside
- Park further away in the parking lot when you get to work
- Every time you eat a meal, take a 5-10 minute walk
- Get creative and make it fun!